About Me

My photo
20-something recent grad and wife. My husband and I were married on March 27, 2010. This blog is my journey as a young new wife {and mom}.

The Lives of Others!

Link us to your page!

About This Blog

My plans for this blog are to share my life experiences as a young wife and mom with all those who care to read!
Some special topics : Love, Life, Fashion, Inspirations, Family, Decorating, Party Planning, Kid's, Work and of course Married Life! Just to name a few!


Contact Me

vrodriguez@alumni.albertus.edu
Powered by Blogger.

Sweetest Love

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Followers

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

How to paint an older dresser!!

I had an area between two windows were I knew I wanted a server/buffet, I searched high and low for one that was reasonably priced but had no luck!!

 Here are two of my favorites but I just wasn't happy with the price tag.

Reflections Collection from Homedecorators.com $599
Ikea Liatorp Sideboard $350





So I did a lot of searching for a cheaper alternative and stumbled upon this pin
 (and many others) of brightly painted furniture.
I thought bet I'll give it a try.


HOW TO PAINT A DRESSER

What you'll need
 Old dresser or piece of furniture
ZipLock Bag
Powered hand sander
Sand paper
Tack cloth or old towel
Primer
Paint
Foam Roller
Paint Brush
Spray Paint (for hardware)

Step 1

Find an old dresser
We scored with this dresser!
 I search on craigslist for a couple of days with no luck
until I took a friends advice and searched first thing in the morning.
Can you believe I only paid $20 for this!!! (huge grin)


Step 2

Remove all hardware and put everything into a zip lock baggy.
Remove doors and drawers

Step 3
Sand. Sand. Sand.
Thankfully, I have an awesome hubby who was all for this project and did all the sanding.
(if you want to skip this step you can always use a paint primer that doesn't require sanding
- but I've never had any luck with them so i wouldn't suggest it)

Step 4
Make sure to wipe off all the dust with a tack cloth or towel to prep for painting.

Step 5
PRIME
We purchased a Quart of Primer
Depending on the color you choose you might have to use a tinted primer.
You can ask your local paint guy when purchasing the paint
We originally chose a bright blue color called song bird from Behr (I think)
which required a tinted primer

After about three coats and a light sanding after each coat it was ready for paint!!

USE A FOAM ROLLER FOR GREAT EVEN COVERAGE!!

Step 6
Paint.
We purchased Quart of this blue
We probably did another 2-3 coats of the paint color
 just to make sure that it was completely covered.
ONCE AGAIN USING ANOTHER FOAM ROLLER FOR SMOOTH COVERAGE
(and a good paint brush for the doors and small details that the roller can't get)

At this point you should be done and ready to put on the hardware!!


After a night of thinking about it i decided the bright just wasn't going to work for me.
I should have went with my gut!! UGH this always happens!!

Take Two
I went back to the original color I liked
Peru by Behr Paint

Spray Painted Hardware
I decided to keep the original hardware, but I knew I wanted to change the color.
I used warm water a brush and dawn dish soap to clean them up before painting.
I purchased a can of rust-oleum metallic pearl white spray paint
They turned out to be more silver then I wanted it to be
 I think that's because the hardware was such dark bronze.



All and all I love it!!!
Now it's time to decorate.

 

1 comment:

Kim V said...

Glad you're back! Love the dresser project!